Startup Icon Rules and Regulations :
Startups can be disqualified and removed from the tournament at our discretion at any time for failure to follow these rules and regulations. You do not have to follow the tips (TIP: '...'); they are suggestions to help you.
1. You must have released a free or trial version of a website, digital product, service or mobile app by March 15, 2013, to be eligible to compete. If our users cannot sign up for free online or on their mobile devices and try it out during the duration of Startup Icon, you do not qualify.
2. Set up your profile StartupIcon.tv complete with your company or product logo. We need your main contact's email address and phone number to coordinate the live broadcast.
3. This Season the event will be held in English only.
4. Set up your free account with ooVoo.com and submit your ooVoo account number to us on your profile.
5. Explore and get comfortable with just the video conferencing windows in full screen mode so you can see how you come across on camera, have your judges set you up as the main speaker. In the live competition, we will not be broadcasting anything but the video windows and audio on Startup Idol.
6. Set up a video meeting with ooVoo and invite 2 to 5 people to act as your 4 judges and the MC to interact with you in several practice sessions. The practice sessions do not have to be done at the same time or with the same people. Use them to gain experience broadcasting your image and story. Remember, you are representing your company to a live world audience and we want you to come across professionally.
7. Pitch is a 2 minute elevator pitch, 5 minutes of Q&A between you and the Judges and 5 Minutes of them departing wisdom on you and voting. Practice makes perfect.
(TIP: Have fun and be energetic and natural, the judges and users respond well to that.)
(TIP: if you cannot get everything in the 2 min pitch, learn from the politicians how to use the Q&A session to get in the other info. Start answering their question, but get out what needs to be said. It's an art because you do need to answer the judges' question since they are judging you. That is why you need to practice your pitch in the format on the medium)
8. You agree that StartupIcon.tv and Agora Technologies Inc (The parent company) has all rights to any video submission and video broadcast you participate in and can use it or sections of it and stills from it in any way they see fit.
9. No foul language or lewd behavior that is inappropriate for broadcast TV. What is inappropriate is at our discretion and we will try to adhere to public TV guidelines for broadcast. (Not Cable TV R rated - but Public TV G rated)
10. Use our share buttons to get all of your contacts and all of the contacts of everyone involved with your company to come and sign up with your company through your StartupIcon.TV profile page during the qualification time (through 1 AM PST on May 1st) That is how you make the starting 64. If you do not make the starting 64, do not worry, you will still get some traction just not the most traction. And you still are eligible for the "People Choice Awards".
11. Check your profile daily to rate your user feedback as helpful or not helpful. This will raise your profile to the ASI user community and help your chances of making the tournament. It also gives you points to be used as tie breakers throughout the entire competition.
(TIP: Once you make it into the live event, update your pitch between each round with what you have learned from your feedback, what users are saying about your product, what you have changed and how many users you have gained since your last pitch. This is important for the judges to see your progress and how you handle the speed up environment and the traffic., and shows to the judges that you are able to keep up with and act on the main user demands, as well as listen and respond to your users.)
(TIP: Again - Have fun and be energetic!)